Have you ever wondered how all those pages on facebook get relevant content? Or maybe how they manage to post a link to an article before it is published in the print version of the local newspaper? Here’s the kicker: how do people find news about your business before you do?
The answer: Google Alerts
Have you used this handy little app from Google? If you haven’t you’re missing the boat.
Monitor the Web for interesting new content
Enter a search query you wish to monitor. You will see a preview of the type of results you’ll receive. Some handy uses of Google Alerts include:
- monitoring a developing news story
- keeping current on a competitor or industry
- getting the latest on a celebrity or event
- keeping tabs on your favorite sports team
Google Alerts are so simple to use.
1. You will require a google account
2. Login to Google Alerts
3. Enter your search query: the name of your business for example, or your name.
4. Select the type of result you would like: everything, news, blogs, photos, video, etc.
5. Select how often you would like results reported to you
6. Select how many results (we find selecting ‘only the best results’ works best, otherwise you may end up with too many non-relevant results
7. Select to which email address you would like the results delivered
8. Select Create Alert and you’re done
It’s that simple. Now wait for the results. You can set up many google alerts. For example: Your business name, your personal name, brands you sell, news relevant to your industry, news from a business group you belong to, etc.
Don’t spend hours searching for content – have it come to you!